This addresses issues displaying box/line drawing characters in PuTTY.
- In your PuTTY session settings go to Window -> Translation.
- Change the Remote character set to UTF-8.
- On your linux box open ~/.bash_profile with your favorite editor.
- At the bottom add “export NCURSES_NO_UTF8_ACS=1” without quotes.
- Save and exit.
- For the change to take place in your current SSH session you’ll need to type “export NCURSES_NO_UTF8_ACS=1” at the prompt. Otherwise just logoff and back on.
If you’d like this setting to be system-wide place the export statement at the bottom of a new .sh file in /etc/profile.d (ie: /etc/profile.d/utf8fix.sh)